Saturday, September 19, 2009

Yourself Or Someone Like You

The other day I was thinking about how we change as we grow and mature with the passage of time. I was struck with the similarity of this concept to that of alternate versions of oneself across the Multiverse or alternate worldlines - parallel universes. Imagine visiting yourself as a teenager, a child, a young adult, a middle age adult, an elderly person... all these versions of your own self would have such different ideas about life, them self, the world around them. They might (at times) seem share more in common with other individuals than with themselves. I recall considering this concept long ago (I must have been about 17 then.) I did not yet have an understanding about how the universe, multiverse and Omniverse were set up, then I was missing the key pieces of information that would drive my consciousness headlong into the infinite life. Yet my mind was suffused with a perpetual contemplation of the realization just around the corner. I could not know that I was just a decade away from the understanding I craved. What do I lack now, that I will know just a decade from now? It may be a small mercy that I have this time to allow myself to prepare. Information has a funny way of arriving just as we need it and yet, somehow just before we feel ready for it. If we remember this analogy it may help us to understand how alternate versions of our self across the infinite Omniverse may appear to one another. We should consider that even our own life (here in this worldline) shares nearly as much incongruity with itself as with other versions of that life (in other universes.) This concept of a changing being across time can be called a 4th dimensional being. We are 4th dimensional beings with the perspective of 3rd dimensional beings. The Holographic Universe Theory tells us that 4 dimensional objects cast 3 dimensional shadows. For more on this subject I suggest that you read the following authors: Rob Bryanton (Imagining the Tenth Dimension,) Brian Greene, Douglas R. Hofstadter, Michio Kaku, Paul Davies and Fred Alan Wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment